This ranch is a part of the original, historic William Barrett Travis Grant of 1834-35. The owner's family bought the portions that make up this property in 1937 and 1939; the best part of a larger holding that now presents you with a unique opportunity to acquire a fabulous water property with a historic background.
- 50.19 acres (per tax records)
- Approximately 5000+ feet or 0.95± miles of creek frontage, including each side of Onion Creek separately, or approximately 100 feet of creek frontage per acre.
- Not in any city limits or ETJ. No deed restrictions.
It's about 35 minutes from downtown Austin and Austin-Bergstrom International Airport is about 38 minutes from the property! Really! It's also convenient to San Marcos and San Antonio. Dripping Springs is 10 minutes away and Wimberley is 15 minutes. Restaurant Trattoria Lisina is a two minute drive (0.9 mi.), and the world famous Salt Lick is a 5 minute drive.
The ranch has approximately 1311 feet of the creek with both sides, plus another 641 feet with just one side. OR 3222± feet total on Onion Creek counting each side separately (per estimations from old plat).
- Onion Creek's width at the dam, from cut bank to cut bank, is approximately 80 feet wide.
- The ranch's section of Onion Creek is spring-fed with a rock bottom, and a depth in many areas being about 5-6 feet (per owner). The depth can vary with flood and gravel.
- The rock bottom means the water is clearer than many other parts of Onion Creek, which makes for great swimming, kayaking, canoeing or SUP. The big bass and catfish are pretty nice, too.
- It has never gone dry since it was purchased by the family in the 1930s.
FLAT CREEK forms approximately 1780 feet (per old plat) of the north and west boundaries.
- Flat creek is spring fed and flows into Onion Creek.
- Limestone cliffs facing the property run along the creek.
- There are several low pressure seep springs along the cliffs.
TREES AND PLANTS:
Enormous cypress trees line both creeks. One of them is 6± feet in diameter and thought to be at least of pre-Columbian age. Early in the history of the ranch, cypress shingles harvested from the ranch's trees were used a payment for the purchase of part of the ranch.
- There are unusually large live oaks on the property due to a perched aquifer.
- Many large native pecan trees grow in the bottom land along the north bank of Onion Creek
Near the center of the property there's an open pasture of about 12 acres with coastal bermuda grass. It's an ideal spot during dove or deer season. In the spring the wildflowers here can be extraordinary.
- Birds - Barred owls, great blue heron, turkeys, painted buntings, cardinals, red shouldered hawks, red tailed hawks, caracara, migratory ducks, robins, indigo buntings, woodpeckers, whippoowills, roadrunners and many more species are found here.
- Critters - Grey fox, red fox, ring tail cats, deer, skunks, possum, armandillo, raccoon, and the occasional porcupine have been seen here. The ranch has been home a beaver, although it hasn't been sighted recently.
- Fish - Black bass, channel catfish, mud catfish, perch, and the occasional trout that washes down from a neighboring ranch.
- Perched Aquifer - When a deep well was dug near the upper house in the late 1980s, a thick layer of clay was encountered approximately 10 feet down (per owner). It was determined that this clay layer forms a confining boundary for a perched aquifer, which is recharged by ground seepage from the valley on the west side of FM 150. When the aquifer is fully charged, several artesian springs become active below one of the houses. The perched aquifer has been a great water supplyfor the unsusually large trees on the property, especially the live oaks.
- The property sits over the Trinity aquifer and the Glen Rose aquifer. The well draws water from the Trinity aquifer at about 450 feet (per owner).
There are three houses plus on the property, plus an old historic cabin/bunk house. The ranch value is in the land and water.
- The "Ranch House" dates from the 1950s and had an addition in 1998 (per owner). It's approximately 1672 sq ft (per tax records).
- The "Rock House" was built in the late 1930s 1940s (per owner). Tax records state that it's 1600 sq ft.
- The "Barn" was constructed in the mid 1940s, converted into a weekend house in the mid 1970s and had an addition in the 1980s.
- The Cabin/Bunk House dates from the 1910s to mid 1920s. It's only modern convenience is electricity, but what it lacks is made up for with loads of character.
The property is presently under wildlife management which makes for low property taxes.